Expectations and Reality

Throughout my semester in the COMM 373 Social Media course, I have learned more things about media than I expected, and have gotten more tips on how to be your best online. The course was very different than I expected, but in a way that I think was more beneficial to my learning. Instead of just learning about the social media that I know, I was able to go deeper into all media and how the media I know came to be as well as the people online and how we came to act the way that we do.

Below, are some of my biggest takeaways from the semester:

1) There truly are different personas that we take on different forms of media. This is something that I always internally recognized, but never sat to think about. Most of our online personas come from who we know is receiving the information we put on each platform.

2) I thoroughly enjoyed the reading we had written by Goffman on Impression Management. This reading related the faces we have with the idea of theatre. We have to act in certain ways in front of our audience in different situations (platforms).



3) I found it extremely important to cover cyberbullying in the semester. Media's impact on the human psyche is profound. It is important to know how to recognize cyberbullying to help someone out of it or to put an end to it yourself.

4) I loved the professionals that were brought in over the semester. We met on video chat with the founder of SheThoro, and this was great to see how someone's personal use of media could get her so far into a great business.

5) Having an interest in food blogs and "foodie accounts," I enjoyed reading about the uprise of these accounts and the impact that they have and can have on media.



6) Another interesting topic was the fitness apps. Research has proven that fitness apps and their connection to media increase a person's desire to work out due to being able to post about it online. This creates a reward.

7) The viral media (video, tweet, post, etc) is unpredictable. There is no true algorithm to what will make something go viral (but it's sure fun to try)!

8) Online disinhibition was really interesting to learn about because it is so apparent on all media. Online disinhibition, someone sharing more about themselves online than they would in person, was explored through six different factors. These were especially interesting due to the world millennials have grown up in, which includes lots of catfishing...



9) A huge tip for professional media, or even just more followers, that I enjoyed was about having steady profiles. It is easier for people to find you on different media if you keep your usernames as well as photos the same on all.

10) Have fun with your media. The best accounts are the ones with owners who are passionate about what they share and write on their media.




This course has been a blast! It could be really cool to incorporate more common forms of social media, especially having seen the prevalence of Instagram and Snapchat in my own media blog. Exploring these worlds more, maybe even without scholarly sources, could be very interesting.

For now, Happy Holidays! See you soon!


Comments